ServiceMaster Clean of Clark and Jackson County


24-hour Emergency

ServiceMaster Clean of Clark & Jackson County

Renter’s Insurance- Why do I need it?

February 6th, 2019 · 1 Comment

In our world of disaster restoration, we see the usefulness of insurance almost every day. We often are working with a homeowner’s insurance policy, but disasters do happen in rental properties as well. Tenants could save themselves a lot of headache and money by having a basic Renter’s Insurance policy.



Here are some facts about Renter’s Insurance that you might not know.

  1. It can cover your belongings even when they are not in your home. Things like bikes, laptops, and jewelry can be covered if they are stolen or damaged. If you are in a car accident, your policy can cover things damage that your auto policy might not cover.
  2. Your most valuable belongings can get extra coverage under your policy. You can be protected from costs due to items being lost, stolen, or damaged such as: jewelry, musical instruments, artwork, guns, etc.
  3. Renter’s Insurance can also include liability for medical expenses if someone gets hurt at your residence. Without liability insurance, if you were at fault, you could end up paying for their bills.
  4. If you accidentally cause a broken window, break a pipe, or over-cook dinner; renter’s insurance can help cover the cost of the repairs to the building. It can also take care of your belongings. Without it you could be responsible for the entire cost of the repairs.
  5. Without Renter’s Insurance, you may no longer be able to live in your residence. If your home has a major disaster, such as a fire, flood loss, sewer backup, tornado damage, etc. you may be displaced. Renter’s insurance can help cover other living arrangement for that time frame and cover the cost of cleaning and moving your contents for that process.


While we are not an insurance company, we work with them on a regular basis and see how hard it can be for renters when tragedy strikes. Their home and their world gets turned upside down. Renter’s insurance is relatively cheep too; often it is $10-20 a month. We recommend that, if you are renting a place, you talk with a local insurance agent about what coverage would be appropriate for you and your family.


This is a scenario the we have seen multiple times and we wish that is did not have to happen this way.


A rental building has had a major fire and the renter’s are forced to evacuate. The building might take months repair including: removing the severely damaged structure, drying the structure from the water used by the fire department, cleaning the entire building for odor, and then letting contractors come in to put things back together. But, before any of that can happen renter’s belongings need to be removed. Many renters cannot or do not want to pay a professional company to clean their belongings because of the cost associated with it. So sadly, many times contents end up being disposed of so the structure can be addressed.

While the structure is being focused on, the renters are left in an unfortunate circumstance. They no longer have a place to live and most of their belongings are destroyed. If more renters would have Renter’s Insurance it would pay to replace the items that cannot be cleaned and clean the items that can be saved. Also the cost to move them to a safe location and provide renters with a temporary place to live until they can move back in.

We don’t like to see anyone displaced from the place they call home and we try to help in whatever ways we can. We understand that these situations can be emotional and stressful and we are here to help; even if it is just a bit of advice on simple things that you could do to take the next steps to regaining a sense of normalcy after a disaster.


Tags: Fire Damage · Insurance · Water Damage ·


One response to “Renter’s Insurance- Why do I need it?”

  1. Most apartment complexes and landlords only have insurance that covers the damage to the actual dwelling, which leaves everything of yours—electronics, furniture, clothes, whatever—vulnerable. So, to protect your belongings in case of fire, theft, or damage, you need your own policy, called an HO4 or renter’s insurance policy. (Unless, of course, you have the funds to replace everything yourself!)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *